This Heritage listed Federation warehouse building was constructed in 1912 to a design by the architects Morrow & de Putron for Waugh and Josephson engineers. It houses A. Hall & Co., furniture makes as well as the Sunday times. It was used for clothing manufactures since the 1970’s.
The conversion of the warehouse provided the best opportunity available for the long-term conservation of the warehouse building through viable adaptive reuse. The building’s heritage significance can now be appreciated by a wider community.
City Plan Heritage was engaged to provide essential heritage services between 2001 and 2005, including an Interpretation Strategy to achieve a successful inner-city residential conversion of a heritage listed Federation warehouse building.
We were involved in every stage of the process, from the preliminary phase to the competition of the project in continuing liaison with the consent authority. The project scope included the preparation of a Conservation Management Plan; the measured drawings and the comprehensive fabric survey of the existing warehouse building; preparation of Heritage Impact Statements for stages 1 & 2; archival recordings in accordance with the NSW Heritage Offices guidelines prior to, during and after the competition of the works; preparation of an Interpretation Strategy; and conservation architect services during the construction works.
Success of the project has been recognised through a number of awards including: