The Carla Zampatti Building is a fine example of an early twentieth century warehouse in Central Sydney, containing a rare surviving example of a central cart way. Originally the Edward Dunlop & Co warehouse, built in 1901 by John Sym Dunlop, it is one of eight identified former warehouses in central Sydney. Carla Zampetti Pty Ltd has occupied the building since 1978.
The client wanted to convert an under-utilised former warehouse, to enable the building to be occupied by a number of advertising companies as well as the owner. The work once completed would successfully combine a heritage backdrop with the vitality of contemporary office space in Sydney’s Central Business District.
The building was to be returned to its warehouse qualities with open plan office layouts enhancing appreciation of its industrial character. While the Kent Street façade of the building was to have the removal of plant growth before being repaired & maintained for the protection of its sandstone & brick fabric.
City Plan Heritage has been providing ongoing heritage and conservation advice since 2005 in relation to the refurbishment of the interior to commercial offices.
The works included staged alterations, conservation and maintenance works to the interiors with minor alterations to the exteriors of the subject building. Heritage consultancy services for the project included various impact statements for staged applications, photographic archival recordings, conservation architect services a signage strategy and an interpretation strategy.
City Plan Heritage was involved in every stage of the development process, from the early strip-out until the competition in continuing liaison with the consent authority. The project scope also included the preparation of Schedule of Conservation Works and the graphic design of the interpretive panels as part of the Implementation Strategy.