The wharves of Blackwattle Bay operated as coal depots for the city from 1904 until the 1980’s during which time the industrial character of the precinct was firmly established. Since the 1990’s the site has been used by charter vessels & the technologies documenting nearly a century of maritime industry at the site were abandoned.
In 2010 Blackwattle Bay Marina Pty Ltd won the tender to operate & redevelop the area with an extended charted vessel wharf & new commercial & retail areas, opening the foreshore and providing pedestrian access to the Sydney Fish Markets. Despite no formal heritage listing, the need for detailed assessment of archaeological potential including underwater resources, & heritage significance of the precinct was identified.
City Plan Heritage conducted detailed historical research to document the development of the site, & identified the potential for archaeologically significant resources to be present on site & provided an impact assessment & detailed mitigation advice including the adaptive reuse & retention of significant industrial remains.